Three time Olympic Games competitor and Commonwealth Games Gold Medal winner; Melissa Wu, is no stranger to Social Media, having amassed an Instagram following of over 60,000 people.
Using platforms like Instagram is a major component of her Athlete Marketing plan and has been pivotal in helping her to build her ‘Athlete Brand’ and in turn her sponsorship potential.
Growing your Social Media following takes time and effort, much like anything else in life, it is however a very valuable tool to have when trying to get your name out there and in time connect with sponsors.
Athlete Mktg caught up with Melissa who was kind enough to share her experience on Social Media and give us her Top 5 Tips to growing your own following.
Melissa’s Top 5 Tips
- Post regularly. This is the number one way to build your profile. Post often about your training, upcoming events/tournaments/competitions and update your followers on your performances.
- Post high quality content. It doesn’t matter how often you post if your image or video quality is really poor. Avoid posting blurry content or anything that is too dark and hard to see.
- Engage with other people. The more you engage with your followers and respond to comments on your posts, the more you will be able to generate interest from new people and build your profile.
- Connect with new people. Like and comment on other people’s posts. Try to expand from just people you know or people in your sport and start engaging with athletes from other sports and people in other areas that interest you (such as your area of study or people who share similar hobbies).
- Avoid inappropriate behaviour. It’s important to behave in a professional manner when building your athlete profile. Avoid using swear words, posting rude content and engaging in inappropriate activities with other people.
You can follow Melissa Wu on Instagram here
For more ideas on improving your Social Media, check this out.
If you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing it with friends, family and fellow sportspeople. If you have any questions, or would like further information, we’d love to hear from you at: firstname.lastname@example.org